Saturday 13 September 2008

Puppy Power

Puppy Power
Oh my goodness what have we let ourselves in for. We have agreed to look after a friends puppy whilst they are on holiday for a week. They hadn’t planned to get a puppy yet but they spoke to a breeder and someone gave back word so Pippa is now in their lives. Luckily K’s mum has offered to look after Bluebell for a few days if it gets too much for him. It’s a lot to expect of him to accept a new dog and a puppy in just a few weeks.

What am I thinking? Tinkerbell has only been with us for a matter of weeks. They were stuck and we are soft, what more can I say. We took Tinkerbell and Bluebell to meet Penny. I was petrified! She is only 14 weeks old, she is not that much bigger than the size of Bluebells head. She is gorgeous and full of fun, I think Tinkerbell is going to have a second puppyhood.

Our bedtime routine is now settling down. The routine has become we have family cuddles on the bed before getting into her own bed for the night. I am hoping that this doesn’t feed her anxieties and does build her confidence in us and helps her feel more secure.

Today we went to our first obedience class and either I showed Tinkerbell up or she showed me up. She was suddenly blind and also deaf. I’d used freshly cooked chicken as a reward which until now has been her favourite food. Today she wasn’t at all bothered about it. Thankfully things improved no end when someone donated some of their spicy sausage. She loved training though and she did start listening to me eventually. To be very fair to her and me, it was a busy course with lots of dogs and lots of new people. She was so excitable it made me wonder if she’d every done anything like that before. She was shattered afterwards and slept in the car all the way home. Bliss.

We appear to be getting the mouthing under control. She mouthed my cousin a little but we ignored her bad behaviour and rewarded the good. She hasn’t mouthed me in a while now so I guess she was just trying her luck.

The day ended with Bluebell and Tinkerbell sound asleep on the bed. It was so very cute to watch.

No comments: